Sumptuous Snickerdoodle Cookies

Do you like cookies? Most people do enjoy a cookie every once in awhile and I am no exception. There is nothing quite like the fragrance of goods freshly baked in one's own kitchen. Cookies are one of those treats that are especially fun to make when you can share the experience with one of your favorite grandchildren. Kids love to help while baking is being done and my Sophie is no exception.

Of all the desserts classified as cookies, Snickerdoodles are one of my absolute favorites. For some reason, I have never actually baked Snickerdoodle cookies. That is, I have never baked any homemade Snickerdoodles, totally from scratch. I have bought the ones that are in a plastic tub (some of which are even already pre-formed individual portions of dough). You may have purchased these and they can be stored in the freezer. Now, mind you, those are actually pretty good. At least, the ones I have had experience with have been good.

For the past week or so, I have been guiltily thinking about baking up a batch of Snickerdoodle cookies. I was in charge of two of my granddaughters this week. Snickerdoodles are Sophie's favorite cookie as well. When I mentioned that I was planning to bake some Snickerdoodles my  Sophie wanted to assist in the kitchen. I strive to always welcome and encourage little helpers to learn their way around in the kitchen, so we got started right away.

We used this recipe from Farberware's baking site and, I kid you not, these are some of the best cookies I have ever made. Sophie agrees they are the best she has ever made too! This is how they look.
Sumptuous Snickerdoodle Cookies

The recipe made some thirty (30) large cookies for me. It states in the recipe that it makes 33-35 cookies, so if you don't a slightly smaller cookie, then I am sure you can probably get that many out of it.

Some Snickerdoodles are really crunchy and hard, but NOT these. The cookies from this recipe are crisp enough so that they do not fall apart when you touch them, but they are incredibly soft and chewy and they fairly melt in your mouth. They are sumptuously tender and full of buttery, sugary cinnamon flavor.  They are not for those of you who are faint of heart or who are afraid of butter because, yes, they do contain real honest-to-goodness butter. An entire cup, as a matter of fact!
Snickerdoodle Cookies from Farberware Baking Co. Website

Therefore, if you are persnickety about what's in your "per" Snickerdoodles then, by all means, go with another recipe. However, if you like the occasional sweet and buttery indulgence, these definitely rise to the occasion. My opinion is that if you are going to indulge, you might as well make it worth it!
Snickerdoodle Cookies

For your convenience, I have copied the recipe here:





Snickerdoodle Cookies


This recipe uses the simplest ingredients, but it’s almost impossible to eat just one snickerdoodle. The edges are wonderfully crisp while the inside is soft and chewy. Although similar to a sugar cookie, the snickerdoodle is rolled in cinnamon sugar just before baking, giving the outside a dark crackled top.

Ingredients

Recipe Details

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, granulated sugar. Cream on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  4. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to incorporate. Scraping down bowl and beating again to insure all ingredients are incorporated and not lumpy.
  5. Add sifted ingredients and mix on low speed until incorporated.
  6. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Stir with a spoon until evenly combined.
  7. Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough into balls and roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet, leaving 2-inches between them.
  8. Bake at 350 for 10-11 minutes, center should still be very soft. These cookies over bake very easily. Remove from oven and cool on the cookie sheet.
I provided the link to the recipe near the beginning of this post and I will give it to you again here! There are lots of other recipes on the site!

The recipe does come with a preface that it is almost impossible to eat just one and I won't lie about it, I did not eat only one. These things are seriously addictive! Fortunately, I shared the batch I made with family and friends!

Blogger's Note: I used King Arthur Flour in baking these cookies. I have had the best results when I use it and if it ain't broke, I am not going to try and fix it! I am not making an endorsement but it certainly works for me.

Comments

Oh my!! All you had to say was that they were soft and chewy!!! That is exactly how I like my cookies!! And these look delicious! And what a great Grammy you are for encouraging your grandkids to bake with you! I love that!! Thanks for sharing this one friend! Nicole xo
lynn cockrell said…
Thanks for stopping by, Nicole! These really are good and easy to make. Your kids would have a really good time helping with these in the kitchen, too. I wish I had taken a picture of Sophie helping and eating them, but I really wasn't planning a post about it until after they had left for the day. I hope the rest of your weekend will be fabulous!
I'm sure I wouldn't be able to stop at one!!! I bet your grandkids just love cooking with you, Lynn.
Laurie said…
I so agree, Lynn. If you are going to indulge, then go big or go without. HaHa! I have been craving cookies for a few days now, but will have to wait until I get home from vacation to try these. They do look delish. And I'm sure they wouldn't have been as good without Sophie's help. ;)
lynn cockrell said…
I ate far too many of these cookies, Pam. I even found myself shamelessly rationalizing it to be "breakfast" in the mornings! No wonder I keep putting on the pounds! My grandkids do often find their way into the kitchen when they are visiting here, which sometimes means things sometimes take a little longer, but it is worth the long term benefits for them and for me! I appreciate your dropping by to check things out. I am still not able to do as much posting and visiting as I would like. Splints on the hands help with the arthritis pain, but it is difficult to type while wearing them. I hope you are well, dear friend!
lynn cockrell said…
Laurie, I am so glad you came by to check things out! You know I haven't posted a lot about cooking/baking though I love doing both. These Snickerdoodles seemed worth sharing, so I did. I hope your vacation will be wonderful. If you are like me and with the heat being so sweltering, I am really looking forward to Fall and a little cooler weather. Have a beautiful weekend, Laurie!
Jill said…
Ok Lynn- I've been hearing the name "Snickerdoodles" for a while now but have never tried them before - so I'm pinning this recipe and I shall try making them this week! They do look and sound tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Popular posts from this blog

More From Biltmore House and Gardens Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Collection

How to Make and Use a Stencil Using Cricut Expression

Costumes From' "Fashionable Romance Wedding Gowns in Film Exhibition" at Biltmore House